SubjectRe: The /tmp and modules_install saga
Date
(cc: list)

"A month of sundays ago Andreas Schwab wrote:"

> "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb@it.uc3m.es> writes:
>
> |> ALLMODS="`echo *.o`"
> |>
> |> The double quotes are important. This command will fail otherwise.
>
> The double quotes are useless. Check the Bash manpage and look up
> variable assignments.

The double quotes make sure that the value on the right of the
assignment is not split, whether the man page says so or not, or whether
or not bash or sh or ksh promises or actually does avoid word splitting
here, or whether or not the assignment is itself quoted within a shell
command, or whether or not the code is copied to somewhere else where it
does find itself quoted and/or not subject to the word splitting
exception for top-level variable assignment, or whether or not the makefile
is called from another make, etc. etc. ... a makefile is not a kernel
inner routine. You do not want it to be fragile or cutting edge. Quite the
opposite. You want it to be future-safe and reliable, and self-documenting.
Reliance on excptions is none of those things.

IIRC, I certainly do not appreciate your sending private correspondence on
insignificant stuff to the list something like 6 times (I told you and
the list the first time that the quote above was wrong, and I see no
reason for you to post anything else), but if you do so, would you
please have the courtesy not to quote only your own replies! Thank you.

export foo bar; bar=";echo"; eval "foo=`echo crap $bar $foo in $foo out`"

!!

Somehow I doubt you'll shut up ... apologies to all for letting this genie
out of the bottle again. It'll add to my collection of news gems.

Peter

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.194 / U:0.004 seconds]