SubjectRE: problems with NON-UDMA hdd

I have the same problem with older IDE drives,

I'd say it's made by the kernel default to 'use DMA' in the config, which recently became
on by default, ( use hdparm after boot to see the settings of the hard drive ).

You just have to recompile the kernel with this setting set to off.

Hope this will help you...

JMM

> hdc: unexpected_intr: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> hdc: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> hdc: drive not ready for command
> ide1: reset: success
> hdc: unexpected_intr: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> hdc: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> hdc: drive not ready for command
> ide1: reset: success
> hdc: unexpected_intr: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> hdc: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> hdc: drive not ready for command
> ide1: reset: success
>
> and I have to reboot to stop this...
>
> If I do mount /dev/hdc3 /mnt -o ro (the partition is mounted nicely and fast)
>
> On the older motherboard I can safely mount R/W anytime the hdc3 partition.
>

> I boot from a SCSI NCR 53c825 Quantum Fireball "sda1" so I am not in
> danger but I would like to be able to use that hard drive "hdc"'s
> partitions in R/W mode.
>
> I tried totally disabling UDMA on the motherboard from the BIOS setup
> utility but still won't work, disabling PIO doesn't help either :(((
>
> HELP ME PLEASE!
>
> Thank you.

---
E-Mail: jmerliot@easynet.fr

Linux and Blue Oyster Cult Fan

Deadly Opponent To microsoft
Misconception Of Computing Art...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.150 / U:0.164 seconds]