SubjectRe: [ME TOO] Re: Linux-2.1.125 ... pre-2.2 imminent - SCSI issues

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > It is called 53C710 and Linux haven't had support for it until some
> > 2.1.x kernel. Anyway this controller is also very limited by the
> > ISA crap.
>
> At least under "that other operating system" the 53c700/66 in my panther
> board is slower than AHA1542B
>
> I can't test that in Linux until it acquires a 53c700/66 driver.

I wouldn't expect the 53c700/710 to be faster than a 1542.

> > I do not see any problem with using ISA SCSI controllers. I just pointed
> > that it is probably hard to find a guy enjoying so much using such
> > controllers that he really want to maintain the corresponding drivers.
>
> Nod. The good side is that the AHA1542 itself is a very simple device
> to interface with - its a smart controller with a 186 or similar on it.

I have seen some using a Z80.

> > I always had seen 1542 advertisments claiming that the device supports BUS
> > mastering and 10 MB/s fast SCSI-2 data transfer. Such a wording is utter
> > swindling even if it is not false. I paid the 1542 that got the result
> > above 1500FF and only 360FF a couple of months later for the 810.
>
> The 1542 supports ISA bus mastering and the CF/CP support 10MByte/second fast
> scsi-2 trasnfers. So you get whatever will fit down the ISA bus, which is
> of course "not enough".

I know and it is what I meant by "not false". It would be also "not
false" to announce an Ultra2 Wide controller supporting EISA BUS mastering
and 80 MB/second FAST-40 data transfer for a chip that would support such
a brain-damage, with the marketing intention that people would think that
they would get a 80 MB/second bandwitch using such an hypothetical
controller.

I am not going to cry my eyes out because the fast 1542 has low bandwitch
due to ISA bus limits. ;-)

Gerard.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.089 / U:0.396 seconds]