SubjectRe: Strange problem with knfsd and clients dieing after server reboot
Date
> You are probably not imagining things.  I have a small network with (3)
> x86 and one Alpha. All are at 2.1.124 w/ knfsd + accompanying kernel
> patches. Periodically, things get very strange. Sometimes a client will
> absolutely refuse to automount one of the servers - bitching about inode
> invalid (I'll try to note the exact wording next time). Once this
> happens, it's generally necessary to reboot both ends of the link to
> recover. It doesn't seem terribly repeatable, but happens about once a
> day.

If you can reliably dupilcate it, I will take a look.

> One part of the problem is my confusion over the '-a' vs. '-r' options on
> kexportfs. They seem to be doing the same thing - unexporting and
> re-exporting everything. HJ, can you say just a few more words about
> '-r'?

There is one difference. They are the same when you don't use
subnet, wildcard nor netgroups in /etc/exports. "-r" will keep
those clients mounted from subnet, wildcard or netgroups happy.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)