SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 07:42:43 -0400 (EDT), Alex Buell
<> said:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Redvers Davies wrote:
>> Another feature that we can perhaps learn from this excellent company
>> is the "snapshot" function.

> This feature is actually quite cool - we at Raytheon use it during our
> development to preserve tracking of changed files on our home directories.

> The downside is the increased amount of disk space. Why not use the
> algorithm that cvs uses to keep the size of changed files down to the
> minimum? I.e using deltas?

Because of the CPU cost. Such an expensive operation could only be
justified for specific applications, but such applications can use one
of the version-controlled NFS servers or CVS for that functionality. A
general purpose filesystem has to be fast, fast, fast.