    SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?
    Hi,

    On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 07:42:43 -0400 (EDT), Alex Buell
    <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> said:

    > On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Redvers Davies wrote:
    >> Another feature that we can perhaps learn from this excellent company
    >> is the "snapshot" function.

    > This feature is actually quite cool - we at Raytheon use it during our
    > development to preserve tracking of changed files on our home directories.

    > The downside is the increased amount of disk space. Why not use the
    > algorithm that cvs uses to keep the size of changed files down to the
    > minimum? I.e using deltas?

    Because of the CPU cost. Such an expensive operation could only be
    justified for specific applications, but such applications can use one
    of the version-controlled NFS servers or CVS for that functionality. A
    general purpose filesystem has to be fast, fast, fast.

    --Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.020 / U:120.064 seconds]