SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?
> > Actually, "snapshot" functionality is remarkably easy to do with an LFS,
> > and I imagine it's not that difficult for a JFS either. Both have the
> > advantage that old data can be pushed off to tape or other slow media once
> > it's no longer "live", but supporting this well would probably require
> > userspace help.
>
> I've been thinking about this "change disk now" questions that the
> kernel might need to ask.

I wasn't actually thinking of other media such as tape, I was thinking
more along the lines of the same disk. The NetAPP box allows you to set
a quota for snapshot - so, in an example configuration - a 40 GIG filer
would have 2 GIG reserved for snapshots.

A lot easier to implement I would suspect than serial media such as tape?

Regards,

Red

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.097 / U:0.276 seconds]