    SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?
    Hi,

    On Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:59:45 +0200 (MEST), R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl
    (Rogier Wolff) said:

    > I've been thinking about this "change disk now" questions that the
    > kernel might need to ask.

    > I thought I'd make a character device that simply outputs the question
    > to be posed to the user.

    I'd love to know how this is supposed to work on a multi-user system
    that has users logging in from a dozen different modems and X
    terminals at the same time!

    The kernel disk quota system also needs to be able to notify the current
    user when quota is exceeded, and currently (in common with other Unixen)
    we just output the message to the process's controlling tty device.
    You'd need much more than just a single character device to deal with
    this in any significantly better way.

    --Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.024 / U:151.672 seconds]