SubjectRe: Reducing the pressure
Simon Kenyon wrote:
> perhaps what is needed is a tool which can allow for the "automagic"
> application of a patch
>
> - extract the patch from a file (mail message or whatever)
> - show the text which is "outside" the actual patch
> - show the list of files that it touches
<snip>
Maybe you're going all too far. The problem is not revision control nor
automatic patching; the problem is that we all need to help THE MAN.
Maybe a bunch of teams(not people; fault tolerancy here) -
network/fs/MM et. al. should receive the patches, review them, and send
the good/interesting ones to Linus.
Maybe using one Jitterbug for each team to track the patch status (
pending/rejected and why/approved and sent to Linus for the final OK/
Oked by Linus and commited) would also make the patch submitters happy.
And commit all the official releases to a CVS tree to help everybody
track the changes and make distribution to mirrors more
bandwidth-friendly (rsync maybe) ; no need to involve Linus in that, it
will not be another vger (no offense intended) just another distribution
channel.

Auto-patching and compilability tests means almost nothing;
few patches are rejected because they don't apply correctly or are not
compilable. They are rejected because of logic/performance problems,
ugliness of code :) et. al. And no automated system can solve that. If
such a system existed, Microsoft would use it :)
Vlad

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.248 / U:0.036 seconds]