    SubjectRe: Storage Limitations
    On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Rob Penrose wrote:

    > What storage limitations exist on Linux-ix86 systems besides the 2GB
    > limitation per file? Is there a partition size limitation?
    >
    > I've been experimenting with a ~300GB Fibre channel Raid array and have
    > experienced problems beginning with partitions of 10GB or more... I can
    > create large partitions with fdisk, but mke2fs appears to suffer from a
    > limitation. I would appreciate any information/tips/pointers that this
    > list may be willing to share.

    You might want to try ext2 filesystems with SPARSE superblocks
    (-s 1 option). Please note that you do have to use recent kernels
    in order to properly support it. Up to 2.1.122 it basically
    worked, but there was a bug with the statistics... 2.1.123 has
    the statistics fixed, but might have other problems.

    It would be best to scan the linux-kernel archives to
    see which kernel doesn't have any bad things reported
    about in conjuction with your particular hardware --
    then you'll most likely be safe.

    succes,

    Rik.