SubjectRe: no need for a devfs
James Mastros writes:
> On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
> James Mastros writes: (Me)
> On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Phil Brutsche wrote: (PB)
> On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Richard Gooch wrote: (RG)
> RG> The incosistency can be considered a bad thing. Unless some change is
> RG> planned for the IDE subsystem (along the same lines) consistency is a good
> RG> thing.

Actually, I didn't write the lines above.

> Me> Umm... the IDE subsystem is already like this. We have
> Me> hda - 1st channel, master
> Me> hdb - 1st channel, slave
> Me> hdc - 2nd channel, master
> Me> hdd - 2nd channel, slave
> Me>
> Me> Then you follow those with a number indicating the paritition. The
> Me> difference between current SCSI practice and IDE is this: If you take out
> Me> hdb, hdc remains hdc. But if you remove sdb, sdc becomes sdb.
> RG>
> RG> That's right. And it's a pain.
>
> Huha? In what way? I like being able to disconnect my cdrom (which was hdb,
> due to cable length), which was causing inablity to boot (its ICs appear to
> be fried) withought moving my /usr partition (hdc2). The naming of the
> partitons is somwhat annoying, but ahvell.

I mean that the IDE way is better. With SCSI, I have:
ID0 -> sda (has /, /data)
ID1 -> sdb (removable)
ID2 -> sdc (has swap, /home)

I then remove ID1, so I get:
ID0 -> sda
ID2 -> sdb

so ID2 has been renamed! If ID1 is a removable drive, I have to edit
/etc/fstab each and every time. It's a royal pain.

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.058 / U:0.212 seconds]