Subject[2.1.78] Works well! SB sound, ppp, stuff. But 2 strangenesses...
I just compiled 2.1.78.  Besides the small problem with xconfig
mentioned below (I used menuconfig instead, which works), the kernel
works like a charm. Response is fine, or pretty snappy at least..while
playing an mp3, bzipping, and rm -rf some directories :) Netscape loads
pretty quickly after being killed, though perhaps I've seen faster. (Is
that a good cache test?)
The only strange thing is a PPro thing: I built and loaded proform.o
WHILE playing quake2, which should be a good test for that kind of
thing... The performance didn't really improve though..maybe even
slowed down! I'm pretty sure I got my framebuffer right... Might this
have something to do with Ingo Molnar's old "writethrough page-clearing"
patch not being in the kernel? (At least, I don't think it is...)
Oh, the other "only" strange this is this: I keep getting messages
like:

Jan 5 21:35:23 bredelin modprobe: can't locate module ppp0

PPP works fine, because I didn't compile it as a module, but directly!
I got this from dmesg:

registered device ppp0
PPP BSD Compression module registered
PPP Deflate Compression module registered

Any idea as to WHAT GIVES? :)

Thanks a lot,
-BenRI

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.025 / U:0.080 seconds]