    SubjectIDE Disk Geometry detection/default
    Daniel Ryde wrote:

    [general annoyance at kernel not being able to probe for
    geometries of IDE drives not on primary interface].

    So.. fix it!

    I would really love somebody to come forth with *working* code
    to ask the BIOS for disk geometries at boot time, and squirrel
    that info away for the IDE driver to use. You do the first part,
    and I'll gladly add the second.

    Alternatively, in this day and age we could just have the Linux IDE
    driver default to "best-translation" for unknown drives, rather than
    the current default of "no-translation".

    All of this only affects new (unpartitioned) drives anyway.
    Drives with at least one existing partition are always handled
    correctly even today.

    The Linux IDE guy

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.017 / U:5.460 seconds]