SubjectSound and 2.1.xx
What's the deal with the sound blaster sound drivers and their
dependancy on other modules? Why do I have to compile mpu401 to get sb
to work? I have an original Sound Blaster 1.0, which probably has
something like an OPL1 chip on it, no mpu401, and a 22khz 8bit single mono
DAC on it, but just getting sound to compile was hard enough (2.1.77 the
diffs already supplied by someone else), but selecting which modules I
needed was nightmarish I was wondering half the time what I should
select? generic opl2/3 and there is a separate opl3 support? and an mpu401
which says NOT for sb16.... huh?? can we simplify things a bit and have
seperate Sound Blaster/pro/16/32/64 settings or at least something that
makes a tad more sense or just works? But I have at least gotten to the
stage where sound works in quake, and i can play audio files etc.. linux
is the only OS that supports my SB 1.0 in quake.. (both dos and win
won't do it) :)

So yeah, far out man, sorry for soundin a bit stoned an all.. Have a good
one, and keep up with the legendary work on this legendary OS, Linux!

Dave.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.036 / U:0.368 seconds]