SubjectRe: PATCH for NET=n
On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, Philip Blundell wrote:

> In message <Pine.OSF.3.95.971223112335.15177A-200000@namu23>, "Martin.Dalecki"
> writes:
> >1. Unix sockets are NOT only networking but a general IPC mechanism
> >instead. They don4t depend on networking code. If you are not connected to
> >the net it should remain possible to specify CONFIG_NET=n and CONFIG_UNIX.
> >There is no need for TCP/IP at friends on an box without any kind of
> >networking connection. Nothing depends really on TCP/IP (Even X11
> >doesn4t!).
>
> That's not correct. CONFIG_INET controls whether to include TCP/IP support;
> you can have Unix sockets without this. CONFIG_NET is the next level up and
> it's reasonable to require this for _anything_ that uses sockets.

So, what we're saying here is that CONFIG_NET maybe should have been
called CONFIG_SOCKET instead. Unix-domain sockets are arguably not
networking, but networking is only a subset of the uses of the Berkeley
socket model. Hmmm....
--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer mwood@IUPUI.Edu
Legacy system: installed before the speaker arrived; therefore

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.130 / U:0.016 seconds]