SubjectRe: 2.1.76, nfs client, and memory fragmentation

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> One approach is to have just a "hint-map", which might indeed be good
> enough. The hint-map would contain entries only for private un-shared
> pages - which is often a large fraction of the pages. HOWEVER, I suspect
> that the UNIX fork()/exec() semantics would make even this be impractical:
> on average a lot of pages are not shared, but most pages are shared at
> least for a short while every once in a while. And even if they become
> unshared quickly after being shared, they will have lost the information
> about what single mapping they had.

On a system running Apache there is a small set of pages that is shared
between potentially hundreds of processes. I've seen httpds with SZ of
800k and SHARED of 720k on a particular busy server with 500 httpd
children. This is a static-only server, on servers with a more dynamic
mix the SZ will increase. On servers with mod_perl both SZ and SHARED can
increase (there's more stuff which is constant after config time). In
these cases the sharing stays in effect long after the fork().

Dean

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:4.100 / U:0.812 seconds]