    SubjectRe: Suitable chipset for a pocket linux box
    >> Don't rule out the PowerPC chips, though. IBM has some nice inexpensive
    >> embedded versions, like the PPC403 series, with cache, DRAM interface,
    >> multiple DMA and more goodies. Do a search on the IBM website; there's
    >> pretty complete documentation on all chips.
    > I'd love to use powerpc but i'm sure they are a very expensive
    >option. If they have a cheap portable series then ok but unless they are
    >cheap they are a no go. We can put some money in now because its been
    >assigned as a thesis project to one of the undergrads.

    There are two variants of embedded PPC's: the Motorola chips and the IBM
    parts. My general feeling is that Mot has the expensive, feature-laden
    versions, while IBM has inexpensive, less complex chips. I still have a
    headache from my last encounter with a Mot embedded chip (the 68360 QUICC),
    so I would go for the PPC403GCX by IBM.

    - cheap ($25 in 10000; I'll contact IBM on their 100ex price)
    - simple to interface to DRAM and 8-bit flash (you wouldn't want to use a
    PCI Bridge on an embedded board, would you ?)
    - nice goodies like a MMU, DMA, cache...
    - solderable 160-lead PQFP

    - No FPU
    - I don't know how different the MMU is from that in the PPC port.

    Jan-Derk Bakker, official C3 agency.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.047 / U:13.948 seconds]