SubjectRe: Suitable chipset for a pocket linux box
> On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Claude Robitaille wrote:
> > Or the ColdFire serie, again from Motorola. They just announced a new
> > version, the MCF5307 which has cache, 2 serial port, DRAM controler,
> > IO, debug port, some internal ram, timer, etc. It is cheap (15-20$) and
> > very performant for the price (70 MIPS). Finally, GNU C compiler is
> > ported.
> >
> > The ColdFire serie a basically a 68000 with some instructions removed to
> > make the chip much smaller and much more performant (like 20X for
> > the 5307).
>
> The worst thing is they removed the MMU :-(

No, the basic 68000 DOES NOT have MMU, thus they removed nothing.
The first CPU in 68K series with internal MMU is 68030.

Now I wonder why you would want to have a MMU in an embedded
application system.. I do think the MMU is something for
multi-user time-shared systems, and not space-constrained,
and possibly power-constrained gadgets.
(Sure it would be "cool" to have Linux running at my wrist-
watch and show the time thru X, but why I should burn all
those wats of power ? Just to keep my wrist warm ?)

> Greetings,
> Geert

/Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@tele.fi>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:2.282 / U:1.068 seconds]