    SubjectRe: Suitable chipset for a pocket linux box

    On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, J.D. Bakker wrote:

    > At 5:17 PM +0000 26-01-1998, Jason McMullan wrote:
    > >Adam Wiggins (madman@zip.com.au) wrote:
    > >> Myself and a few other comp sci/eng studnets at the Uni of NSW,
    > >> australia want to do a little pocket linux box project. To get the ball
    > >> rolling we have to decide on a suitable chipset. I'm writting to ask what
    > >> the best arcitecture for this project would be. We need a low cost, low
    > >> power usage chip with a bit of grunt and with a solid nitch in linux
    > >> support. Mips comes to mind though i'm not sure of the power usage of
    > >> these. We'd rather not deal with intel though we may have to.
    > >> As well as the cpu we need a support chipset for standard i/o
    > >> using the laptop based interfaces like pcmcia or other popular standards.
    > >> The focus is nice cheap low power consumption hardware while maintainning
    > >> good software support from linux.
    > >> Please relay your comments.
    > >
    > > ARM. Low power consumption varieties available, reasonably
    > >good support from the manufacturer(s), As of 2.1.79 mainlined
    > >kernel support, etc. And cheap, too.
    >
    > Don't rule out the PowerPC chips, though. IBM has some nice inexpensive
    > embedded versions, like the PPC403 series, with cache, DRAM interface,
    > multiple DMA and more goodies. Do a search on the IBM website; there's
    > pretty complete documentation on all chips.

    I'd love to use powerpc but i'm sure they are a very expensive
    option. If they have a cheap portable series then ok but unless they are
    cheap they are a no go. We can put some money in now because its been
    assigned as a thesis project to one of the undergrads.

    > Jan-Derk Bakker.
    >
    > PS: Without trying to revive the Netstation, is anyone interested in
    > helping development of a cheap modular multiprocessing engine with these
    > (or similar) chips ? I'll have to design some bare-bones boards for my
    > daytime job anyway, and a simple message passing interface isn't too hard
    > to add. All fs/network/UI functions would be carried out by a 'normal'
    > Linux frontend.

    I'd be very iterested as this is the sort of thing i want to do
    for my own undergrad thesis in a few years :)

    Cheers Adam

    > --
    > "... I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
    > I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
    > All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last week.
    > Time... to die...". - Peter Gutmann in the scary devil monastery

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.038 / U:31.868 seconds]