    SubjectRe: Packet Scheduling
    > Kevin Lentin writes:
    > > What I want is for interactive telnet sessions to be responsive while an
    > > ftp or http request is being processed. Under term, packets were
    > > prioritised based on client. I'm expecting you can't do that in tcp but
    > > size should be a good approximation.
    > I haven't tried linux packet scheduling yet, but my guess is that, since
    > the scheduler can only control transmit queues, interactive sessions'
    > performance while doing FTP transfers over serial links will not be much
    > improved. Am I right?
    > Unless, of course, the other side is Linux too, which happens more and
    > more often to me. ;)

    Given that FTP is usually ports 20/21, HTTP is usually 80, and Telnet is almost
    always 23, a packet scheduling based on port number, where port 23 is given
    the highest priority, and all other ports are given a lower priority,
    should be possible...

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.018 / U:6.352 seconds]