SubjectRe: Write cacheing on UDMA drives
In message <199801270251.UAA00622@euphoria.dopamine.com>, "Roy P. Turner" write
s:

>I wrote about this a while back, I guess around the time of 2.1.70,
>and was told to wait a few kernels and check back.

>Anyways, I have 2 UDMA drives and I can't use write cacheing with these
>drives in UDMA mode. Giving a hdparm -W1 to these drives causes irq
>timeouts followed by reset requests. These same drives work fine with
>write cacheing enabled in UDMA mode under winblowz. They also work fine
>with write cacheing enabled in linux with UDMA turned off in the BIOS
>and just using DMA mode 2. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

This works fine for me. Could you be more specific about your drives and your
UDMA controller?

I have a 7.0 GB Maxtor UDMA drive and a Promise UDMA controller.

--
John GOTTS <jgotts@engin.umich.edu> http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~jgotts

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.050 / U:0.032 seconds]