    SubjectRe: Request for help with cdrecord and HP7100
    Gadi Oxman wrote:

    > I will try to create a similar patch for the 2.0.x kernels soon, for
    > potential integration into the upcoming 2.0.34 release. I am wondering
    > about the default /dev/sg? translation behavior, though -- should we
    > default to "translated" or "untranslated" access in the 2.0.x kernels?

    Gadi,

    I understand that after your new patch enabling/disabling translation
    is done per device.

    Why not add an ioctl to get/set the transform bits? Then by default
    enable the translation in all cases. Programs that are aware that
    this is really an ATAPI device can use the ioctl to disable the
    translation (and restore previous settings when they exit).
    (for a program that accesses /dev/sgX it is much easier to use
    the ioctl). This ioctl can also be used by programs to distinguish
    between ide-scsi and 'real' scsi.

    Off topic: is there any plan (or work-in-progress) to have the
    similar of ide-scsi for paride? What else is needed to support
    parallel port cd-writers (like the HP7100e).

    Itai
    --
    Itai Nahshon nahshon@actcom.co.il
    Also nahshon@vnet.ibm.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.018 / U:119.124 seconds]