    SubjectRe: semantics of wppage() and distributed shared memory

    On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Noel Burton-Krahn wrote:
    > struct vm_operations_struct contains several functions which are unused by
    > my kernel (2.0.32) such as advise(), sync(), and wppage(). They are unued
    > now, but I would like to use wppage(). What were its sematics?

    It doesn't actually have any semantics: it was never implemented.

    I _meant_ for it to be the same kind of callback as "nopage" is, to let
    anybody do his own management of copy-on-write behaviour, but nothing
    needed it so it was just left as a stub in mm.h.

    In short, if you have a use for it, please post your suggested semantics,
    and the rationale for it, and I'll try to think about it for a while. But
    this really is a case of somebody having to come up with a sane
    implementation and be able to make a good case for why it should be
    considered the right thing to do..

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.022 / U:52.728 seconds]