Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:43:27 -0500 (EST)
From: devinfo@netscape.com
To: theorb@iname.com
Subject: Netscape Client is Free; Source Code to Go Public - DevEdge News Special Bulletin

Today Netscape unveiled several announcements regarding our
client software and development direction. Because our developers
are so vital to our success, I wanted to make sure you all were among
the first to know. Therefore, we're sending you this special edition
of DevEdge News which tells you about our plans to make Netscape
Communicator source code and client software free, an unlimited
distribution policy, and what this means for existing customers. I think
you'll find these developments as exciting as we do in bringing us all
to the next level of Internet software development.
-- Sincerely,
Marc Andreessen
Co-founder and Executive VP of Products

Netscape DevEdge News Special Bulletin
An alert for the Netscape developer community
January 22, 1998
* Netscape To Make Source Code and Internet Client Free
* Netscape Everywhere -- Unlimited Distribution of the Client
* Promotional Offers for Existing Customers

* NETSCAPE TO MAKE SOURCE CODE AND CLIENT FREE
Netscape announced today that before the end of the first quarter of
1998, it will make its source code for Netscape Communicator 5.0
freely available on the Internet and that effective immediately its
world-class Internet client is free.

This bold move enables Netscape to draw from the creative power of
thousands of programmers on the Internet by incorporating their best
enhancements into future versions of Netscape

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans