    SubjectRe: Hot swap kernel
    Repeating what you said:
    ->Many portables has got a feature which allows you to turn of the
    machine and
    ->restart it without needing to boot again. Basically I think it flushes the
    ->memory and info about processes.. Before it does that it probably
    syncs the
    ->discs etc. This feature didn't work to well on Linux but the theory...
    ->I am not sure (as usual) but if it would be possible to freeze the system,
    ->flush all interesting info including the entire memory and make the
    new kernel
    ->cooperate with the "old" info..
    ->Perhaps it would only operate if we killed all processes perhaps even
    ->all filesystems. This wouldn't be bad at all. I can imagine this
    won't take
    ->more then perhaps 10 seconds. A major time saving compared to a complete
    ->reboot... But then all network connections would be lost, but it is
    at least a
    ->start =)

    I believe that the feature in laptops that you mention doesn't connect
    with the OS. Specifically, I believe that the hardware in the laptop
    saves the state of the Memory, CPU and Video, then simply turns off the
    power. When it re-starts, it loads everything back in place and tells
    the cpu to "go".

    Am I wrong? I had a friend who installed an ancient copy of Win3.0 on
    one of these Laptops (it was originally a Win95 OEM2 laptop) and it
    worked fine. Ditto DOS version 3 thru 6 and OS/2.

    If Linux was persistant (i.e. it saved memory, process*, and filesystem
    states between "shutdowns") then rebooting to install the next version
    of the OS would be fine, since it'd just reload the old memory,
    process, etc. Then you'd have no problem with temporarily shutting
    down the core kernel and loading up a new one without an actual "reboot".

    * Yeah, I know...not all definitions of persistance include processes.

    I'd horsewhip you if I had a horse.
    -- Groucho Marx
    The Doctor What: Not that 'who' guy (finger for PGP key)
    PGPkey Fingerprint: EA 4C 8C FC 5C F0 14 78 9C 02 B9 A1 83 54 7C 8D

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.025 / U:11.960 seconds]