SubjectRe: missing aliased interfaces in /proc/net/dev
Hi,

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998 21:44:07 +0300,
"A.N.Kuznetsov" <kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru> said:

ANK> In article <199801171606.RAA12429@aunt.gaertner.de> you wrote:
ANK> : So here is a first diff against 2.1.78 to add at least the missing
ANK> : aliased interfaces in /proc/net/dev and to update the out-of-date
ANK> : documentation:

ANK> There are no such interfaces, so that it is non-sense to show
ANK> them in /proc/net/dev. They are emulated MINIMALLY just not to break
ANK> the things which people used to. But each emulation has some natural
ANK> boundaries.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, i understand your point of view.

But, before the change in 2.1.68, an aliased interface was a device and
had statistics and showed up in the /proc file system.

Now it is no device by itself (IMHO no problem), but there are no
longer statistics avail (IMHO a bad change) and they do not show up in
/proc/net/dev (again INHO a bad change).

My inital question was, if there are plans to revive this, now i
assume no, and if anyone is working on this, again i assume a no is
the answer .

Not the answers i was hoping about, but a clarification.

ANK> Documentation update is excellent, only I did not understood this:

ANK> : +o For IP aliasing you must have IP_ALIAS support included by static
ANK> : + linking; it is avail as a module.

Yes, you are right, this is no longer a module. Sorry, my fault;
should better read:

+o For IP aliasing you must have IP_ALIAS support included by static
+ linking. Answer 'y' in the configuration dialog.

Erik

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.048 / U:0.208 seconds]