SubjectRe: Off-topic year-2000
On Fri, Jan 16, 1998 at 08:06:00AM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > It looks like your glibc is always runnning in GMT. Are you
> > sure you have the timezone files installed in the right place.
> > glibc needs them in /usr/share/zoneinfo/ whereas libc needed
> > them in /usr/lib/zoneinfo/.
>
> glibc installation changed the links to whatever it wanted. zoneinfo
> now links to:
>
> /usr/lib/localtime -> ../../../etc/localtime
> /etc/localtime -> /usr/lib/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
>
> /usr/share is an empty directory.
> /usr/local/share/zoneinfo has new files with no links set.
>
> Perhaps I am using old zoneinfo with an incompatible library?

It seems you have no /usr/share/zoneinfo. Since that is
where RedHats glibc (and presumably yours) looks for zone
info, perhaps that's the problem.

> > > My TZ variable is set as TZ=EST and is exported. Removing it makes
> > > the time GMT so I know it's being checked and included in the
> > > calculations.
> >
> > I can't understand this. Are you saying the results for glibc
> > are different if you remove the variable?
>
> Yes.

Looks like an installation problem.

As far as I can see, the results you posted for glibc are
consistent with GMT. This would fit with glibc finding the
TZ variable, but not being able to find the zoneinfo file
it refers to. Ether because EST is not a valid zone any
more, or because the files are not where they should be.

You are saying that if you remove your TZ variable,
the results are no longer GMT, but are now (presumably)
correct. This would be consistent with glibc using
/etc/localtime (or /usr/lib/localtime) in the absence of
the TZ variable. In this case, the location of the files
is irrelevant, since the softlink leads glibc to the right
zoneinfo file.

--
Erik Corry

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.278 / U:0.080 seconds]