SubjectRe: [Feature Wish] GGI in Linux 2.3
Date
Michael Schmitz (schmitzm@uclink4.berkeley.edu) wrote:
> I guess in that case it's not meant to be tested as a part of the kernel,
> except
> as 'experimental' option, defaulting to 'off'. GGI seems to require fundamental
> changes to video, console and keyboard code, I don't see how that can be done
> as a simple config option.

In 0.0.9, no, it can't be done. However, the EvStack code
(to be integrated into the next major GGI release) _is_
just a simple config option. Now that Linux has the
CONFIG_VT config, when CONFIG_GGI is enabled it activates some
key #ifdefs in drivers/char/*.c and drivers/char/Makefile,
disabling the current console code. 90% of this has already
been `found' for us by CONFIG_VT #ifdefs.

All the Kernel code in the EvStack release (see http://salsa.visus.com/~jmcc
for browseable source code) is in the drivers/console/ hierarchy, save
for a lonely ascii.h in include/linux, and the include/ggi/ tree. If
CONFIG_GGI is enabled, drivers/console/Config.in `lights up' and the
GGI portion can then be configured.

--
Jason McMullan - Linux - GGI - http://beans.visus.com/~jmcc
NT 5.0 is the last nail in the Unix coffin. Interestingly, Unix

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.024 / U:0.368 seconds]