SubjectRe: Using >1GB RAM

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Perry Harrington wrote:

> Curious thing, I took Intel's benchmarks and did some calculation. The PPro
> gets faster when you increase the Mhz; the performance per Mhz goes up. The
> P 2 gets slower ther faster it runs, performance per Mhz. My calculations
> suggest that a PPro running at the speed a P 2 (300Mhz) runs at, it would be
> faster than a P 2. This doesn't account for the fact that a PPro is a 64 bit
> processor, since their benchmarks are 32 bit only.

This can be accounted for in the l2 cache designs, since the ppro's l2
cache runs at the internal clock rate of the cpu and the current
incarnation of the pentium-II runs the l2 cache at a constant 2x the bus
speed or ~133mhz so when you speed up a pentium-II the l2 cache doesn't
get any faster. whereas on the pentium pro the l2 cache performance
should increase in lock step with an increase in the cpu clock. Hence the
promise of merced since they're promising 100mhz bus speeds along with
everything else, even so if they still maintain the l2 cache as some
multiple of the bus speed slower than the cpu clock you'd expect an
increase in performance modula the pentium-II and not the pro.

joelja

> --Perry
>

> > Alan
> >

> --
> Perry Harrington Linux rules all OSes. APSoft ()
> email: perry@apsoft.com Think Blue. /\

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
CONSERVATIVE, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as
distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--Ambrose Bierce

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.091 / U:0.680 seconds]