SubjectRe: devfs

> >> This whole debate is just screaming "CONFIG OPTIONS!!!"
> >>
> >> Solaris SCSI Device Name Compatibility [y/N]:
> >> Linux Old-style SCSI Name Compatibility [Y/n]:
> >> Custom SCSI Naming [y/N]:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >I think a standard naming scheme like sd_h0c0i0l0p2 will have to be
> >enforced (i.e. no config option), and the old scheme available as a
> >config option, and that's what I'll support. We need a simple,
> >understandable standard that works for everybody. It may not satisfy
> >everybody, but it will work.
>
> Agreed. If we have a single device naming standard, any sysadmin is
> guaranteed to have consistent device names across all Linux machines
> they may encounter. Multiple naming schemes (and particularly custom
> naming at the whim of the kernel compiler) break this in a big way.

In all honesty, I tend to agree with you, but I also know there are
cases where there may be legitimate reasons for having alternative
naming schemes. I perhaps went a little overboard (or was perhaps
being a bit fecetious, you decide ;->) suggesting complete
configurability, but having options for Slowlaris compatibility and
the likes could be useful. Perhaps, once the underlying architecture
stabilizes, a small set of well-defined options (and those not
mutually exclusive of each other) is a workable compromise. As long
as the existing architecture allows a device to have more than one
name, this is easily doable. This could allow, f.e., the choice of
whether to use the suggested /dev/disk /dev/tape etc subdirectories or
just have everything in a flat /dev, and other such "taste" (read:
formerly pure "policy") decisions.

Again, just rambling...

Adam
--
Things look so bad everywhere Adam D. Bradley artdodge@cs.bu.edu
In this whole world what is fair Boston University Computer Science

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.081 / U:0.164 seconds]