SubjectRe: shared anonymous memory

RJ> But, in fact, you can get a similar effect by mapping
RJ> from a common file. If the last process to map the
RJ> file also unlink()s it, then the inode will be automatically
RJ> cleaned up when the last process using the file exits (or
RJ> closes the fd).

But there is the significant question of how efficient that file
actually is. Ages ago in the really inefficient NFS area, this
approach was apparently abandoned by dosemu because if the backing
store was NFS the performance was just too slow.

To this end I have written a filesystem that resides totally in swap.
And doesn't know the meaning of sync :)

The point is a performance garantee. Though I wonder if machines that
mount everything by NFS have local swap?

Eric

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.080 / U:0.092 seconds]