SubjectRe: devfs

like I said before.. I would like to see the linux naming scheme as
similar to the solaris one as possible...

you can even have /dev/sda1 point to /dev/dsk/.....

--Jauder

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Mitch Adair wrote:

> > > Yes, *please* use this layout. Those of us who've been dainbramaged by
> > > our exposure to Solaris would really appreciate it, I think. :)
> >
> > So how about my original scheme:
> >
> > sd_hHcCiIlLpP
> >
> > <H> -> host controller
> > <C> -> SCSI channel/bus
> > <I> -> SCSI target ID
> > <L> -> LUN
> > <P> -> partition
>
> To my thinking, any combination of letter and numbers is equally
> valid... once you've figured out what they all stand for ;)
> I was just voting for the one that is closest to what I am
> used to working with - the Solaris naming scheme. Since the
> positions are the same its not that bad - just doesn't roll of the
> tongue quite like c0b0t0d0s0 :)
>
> Whichever you decide on for the specifics of host, bus, etc., however,
> I would also vote for the idea someone suggested of putting the sd as a
> directory. Again, Solaris has fe /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0, and I think it is just
> nice conceptually to have:
>
> /dev/sd/...
> /dev/sr/...
> /dev/st/...
> /dev/md/...
> /dev/rsd/... (eventually ;)
>
> Mitch
> (hope nobody gets the idea from this I'd like Linux to be like Solaris,
> ANYTHING but that ... its just this one thing :)

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO RECIPIENTS: The Entire Physical Universe, Including
This Product, May One Day Collapse Back Into an Infinitesimally Small
Space. Should Another Universe Subsequently and Spontaneously Re-Emerge,
the Existence of This Message in That Universe Cannot be Guaranteed.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.092 / U:0.572 seconds]