SubjectRe: inode->i_count security hole
On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:
> Chris Evans wrote:
> > I've read about the recently discovered inode counting security hole
> > (ugh). Perhaps its worth a quick audit to see what other counters
> > malicious users could overflow....??
>
> For those of us who haven't heard of this, could you summarize the
> problem with inode counting?

Make a whole bunch of hardlinks to the same file... after you overflow
inode.i_count, Bad Stuff starts to happen.

-=- James Mastros
--
Agent K: A person is smart; people are dumb, panicky animals and you know
it. Fifteen hundred years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the

-=- Men In Black (1997, Paramount)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.069 / U:0.196 seconds]