SubjectRe: devfs

On 11-Jan-98 Michael Neuffer wrote:
>On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
>> > This allows then to stay compatible with their naming sheme but has the
>> > drawback of dropping support for LUNs. This only works properly for the
>> > special case of the SSAs since you only have disk drives in them.
>> >
>> > However I do not think that we should make the same mistake as them
>> > and cut ourselves off from supporting multi LUN devices.
>>
>> Agreed! Considering this, I'm open to alternative naming schemes, but
>> only if they preserve the information.
>
>The easiest would be to add a field so that it looks like the following:
>
>cCbBtTdDsS
>
><C> == controller
><B> == bus/channel on controller
><T> == target (ID)
><D> == LUN
><S> == slice/partition

An would happen to work perfectly well with things like the way I do device
error messages in my aic7xxx patch. The prefix for messages is:

(scsi%d:%d:%d:%d) where the four values are host # (controller), channel #,
target #, and lun #. Then you only add the slice to that to know exactly
which dev file points to that device.

E-Mail: Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
Date: 11-Jan-98
Time: 09:04:56

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.552 / U:0.468 seconds]