    SubjectRe: devfs
    Date

    > Mitch Adair writes:

    > > > The easiest would be to add a field so that it looks like the following:
    > > >
    > > > cCbBtTdDsS
    > > >
    > > > <C> == controller
    > > > <B> == bus/channel on controller
    > > > <T> == target (ID)
    > > > <D> == LUN
    > > > <S> == slice/partition
    > > >
    > > Yes, *please* use this layout. Those of us who've been dainbramaged by
    > > our exposure to Solaris would really appreciate it, I think. :)
    >
    > So how about my original scheme:
    >
    > sd_hHcCiIlLpP
    >
    > <H> -> host controller
    > <C> -> SCSI channel/bus
    > <I> -> SCSI target ID
    > <L> -> LUN
    > <P> -> partition

    To my thinking, any combination of letter and numbers is equally
    valid... once you've figured out what they all stand for ;)
    I was just voting for the one that is closest to what I am
    used to working with - the Solaris naming scheme. Since the
    positions are the same its not that bad - just doesn't roll of the
    tongue quite like c0b0t0d0s0 :)

    Whichever you decide on for the specifics of host, bus, etc., however,
    I would also vote for the idea someone suggested of putting the sd as a
    directory. Again, Solaris has fe /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0, and I think it is just
    nice conceptually to have:

    /dev/sd/...
    /dev/sr/...
    /dev/st/...
    /dev/md/...
    /dev/rsd/... (eventually ;)

    Mitch
    (hope nobody gets the idea from this I'd like Linux to be like Solaris,
    ANYTHING but that ... its just this one thing :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.030 / U:30.348 seconds]