    SubjectRe: dcache questions
    In article <>, Bill Hawes  <> wrote:
    >Martin von Loewis wrote:
    >> Here, the logic for detecting short names seems flawed. It is certainly
    >> possible to do
    >> touch foobar~1
    >> without having a corresponding long name. Also, I believe VFAT chooses
    >> another character when it runs out of last characters.
    >I think this case can still be handled in the same way. Since the name
    >looks like a possible short alias, you do a disk search, and if that
    >fails go ahead and create the dentry for foobar~1 (it is a legal
    >filename, after all). Then when the file is created on disk, the long
    >and short names will be the same.

    I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but there is a registry
    option in Windows95 which causes the short versions of file names to
    just be a truncated version of the long filename. For example,
    `alongfilename.bat' would have a short file entry of `alongfil.bat' .
    There is no '~' or other character involved.
    -- "Strange how unreal
    VMS=>UNIX Solutions Boston Business Computing the real can be."

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.047 / U:3.632 seconds]