SubjectRe: again security proposal
On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, linux kernel account wrote:

> The issue people debate (now that they understand the patch) is not it's
> innovation, they debate if it's the right way to solve the exploit
> problem.

Don't view it as a solution. It's really just a bandaid. Poorly written
suid bins and broken libraries should be fixed, but having the no-exec
stack patch gives you another level of protection, as well as notification
of trouble, when a system cracker tries a simple exploit and it fails.

On a side note, it would be really nice if when broken libraries are
fixed, someone said something about it...so admins would have more
incentive for upgrading than "I don't have the very latest bleeding edge
version."

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
Florida Digital Turnpike |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.095 / U:0.244 seconds]