SubjectRe: Memory leak in 2.1.54
Zlatko Calusic wrote:

> I'm also pretty sure last few development kernels have some big
> problems with memory. Looks like kernel looses big amount of memory
> (7-8 MB or even more) and never finds it back.
>
> It's enough to execute ls -alR / to loose massive amount of memory In
> fact, on 32MB machine, memory problem is so obvious that you don't
> need any tool to see it (top, free or something). Machine gets slower
> and you can notice it.

The memory "leak" is probably just excessive growth of the dcache and
inodes. I'm working on the inode memory management, and will post a
patch for testing later today. I've implemented very simple dcache
pruning routine for micro-shrinking the dcache, and it works quite well
at controlling dcache and inode growth.

Regards,
Bill