    SubjectRe: Kernel NFSd problems

    On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, David Woodhouse wrote:

    > said:
    > > The kernel NFS server in recent kernels is seriously broken.
    > Don't I know it!
    > > If you are not in development (or experimentation) mode, I'd suggest using
    > > the older user mode NFS server.
    > I couldn't get that to stay up for long, either. It usually says things like
    > "Ack! Gack! svc_run returned!" and mountd quits. This is the mountd which came
    > with Red Hat 4.2 - I tried upgrading it once, a while ago, but couldn't find a
    > newer one, and a recompile didn't help.
    > Is anyone running a stable NFS server on 2.1.5x kernels?

    Again, yes. For torture testing, I have a 486/133 and 6x86/P150+ tied
    together with a 100BaseTx crossover cable. Both adapters are set for
    full-duplex operation. The 6x86 box is also setup as a router between the
    fast LAN and the rest of my 10Base network (bunch'o'boxes). Fast SCSI
    drives on the 486, fast-wide on the bigger system.

    Both machines are running 2.1.57 (with Bill Hawes' nfs patches on the
    client) and the user NFS server. I place the kernel source on one machine
    and fire off a:

    $ make dep ; make clean ; make compressed

    If there are any race conditions or network layer problems, you'll
    definitely find out quickly <g>.

    The latest code seems (knock wood) to be _very_ stable. Now, we can only
    hope that Bill works his special magic on the knfs server!

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.018 / U:69.328 seconds]