    SubjectRe: [2.0.x/2.1.x] Lots of ICMP error msgs

    If you get a usable tcpdump log send it to netdev@nuclecu.unam.mx

    > I have data to indicate the kernel getting or assembling the headers and
    > data segments exactly TWO frames out of sequence. That has explained every
    > csum (TCP csum) failure I have captured. I suspect it may be a wild race
    > condition -- an interrupt at an odd time (those are kinda hard to localize.)

    What do you mean with 'headers' and 'data segments' here? A bug in the IP-level
    fragmentation or in the TCP reassembly algorithms? This probabality is very
    low for both things: ICMP messages are never fragmented, so a fragment
    reassembly bug can't cause this (in theory a very buggy, non rfc compliant
    implementation could send fragmented ICMPs, but that's unlikely). TCP
    packets are usually not fragmented neither, unless you're dealing with a
    buggy implementation that doesn't do path mtu discovery properly (possible,
    but unlikely). When the TCP segment reassembly has a bug it'll never
    cause bad checksum messages, because TCP packets with a wrong checksum
    are thrown away early and the reassembly algorithm never sees them. If there
    really is a bug there it could be only catched by additional checksums
    at the application level, but I know of no protocol who does this.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:4.012 seconds]