    SubjectRe: [2.0.x/2.1.x] Lots of ICMP error msgs
    Date
    Letting the chips fall where they may, I quote Andi Kleen:
    >I have seen them with broken Modems (especially ELSAs who got too hot)
    >or terminal servers (Ascend MAX). Strictly speaking it's against the RFC
    >anyways to log checksum errors. It's only enabled in 2.1. to catch bugs,
    >that it is enabled in the 2.0.x masquerading code is a bug IMHO. There are
    >many legitimate reasons why a packet might get corrupted.

    Oh, like the kernel mis-sequencing a packet. I know it's doing it, but I
    haven't had time to collect enough data to really prove it beyond the
    hardware (Intel has been known to report data incorrectly, but ...)

    I have data to indicate the kernel getting or assembling the headers and
    data segments exactly TWO frames out of sequence. That has explained every
    csum (TCP csum) failure I have captured. I suspect it may be a wild race
    condition -- an interrupt at an odd time (those are kinda hard to localize.)

    --Ricky

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.021 / U:30.996 seconds]