    SubjectRe: Name and e-mail address of linuxhq maintainer
    'ADAM Sulmicki mimed'
    > Anyways, let stop this pointless talk and see if Mark agrees to give all
    > data he had on his old site. If he does I'll agree with you completely.

    Then get ready to agree completely. After communicating with Mark, he
    restored from tape backups the mailing list archives that he had been
    archiving (about 50M worth of compressed data) and created an account
    for me so that I could retrieve them from his site. He didn't give me
    all of the old data from his site, but I didn't ask for it either and
    I believe that he probably would have had I asked.

    Now tell me. Would you create an account on a machine that you were
    responsible for and give it to a person whom you had never met and whom
    you had never even corresponded with before? I don't think so.

    I think that an apology just might be in order here. Mark Evans is in
    my book a great guy and I have seen no reason to doubt the reasons that
    he gave for shutting down linuxhq. Mark did a great service for the
    Linux community for as long as he could and I will miss his site.

    I also see no reason why he shouldn't have tried to make some money off
    of his site. This attitude among some Linux users that noone should try
    to make money off of Linux or Linux related services is ludicrous. I
    don't see them complaining about RedHat or Caldera or any of the other
    distributors. Why is running a web site any different?

    That's all I have to say about it, except to publicly thank Mark for
    what he did on my behalf.

    | Tom Schenk | Use Linux! | All opinions expressed |
    | | Friends don't let | are mine and not those |
    | | friends do Windows! | of my employer. |

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.019 / U:2.392 seconds]