SubjectRe: File Corruption
Date
> It seems that it's a hardware flaw, but win95 doesn't present
> any problem.

Win95 tends not to show up a lot of problems

> I already disabled the external cache, used an ISA IDE card,
> tried different hard disks, linux distributions, different kernels
> (1.2.13, 2.0.27, etc.), and the corruption remains.

Ok you've been pretty complete there.

> Comparing corrupted files with their originals, I've found
> that corrupted bytes don't have the lowest bit set.

That does normally indicate a motherboard or memory fault. Maybe even
an I/O card joining in bus cycles it shouldnt

> Could anybody tell me weather it's a kernel problem or
> if I am using broken or unsupported hardware?

Linux supports triton chipset, and all the hardware you seem to have listed.
I'm always wary of saying "It must be hardware" given the nature of computers,
but in this case it would seem to be. If Win95 is ok - can you reproducing it
booting with "mem=8M" - ie run low 8Mbytes only

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.057 / U:0.228 seconds]