SubjectRe: safe file systems
Larry McVoy wrote:

> Do you think it would be possible to build a safe, slow file system?
> By safe, I mean that I could hit reset in the middle of 50 parallel
> un-tars and reboot the system and the file system comes up clean (no fsck,
> but data loss)?

I also have a need for this. Well, maybe not this extreme. I would like
to put Linux on the plant floor in a manufacturing environment. The
current solutions use DOS based systems, which are in fact, quite tolerant
to being turned off at random (not completely, but they're pretty good
about it).

I have in fact brought Linux up on one machine to prove the concept and
demonstrate how nice it is to do system maintenance and software upgrades
without bringing the machine down. Our problem is two fold, power isn't
terribly reliable and the operators are NOT going to learn to shut down
the computer before hitting the master power switch on friday afternoon.

So the way it sits now, Linux is not a viable solution.

--
Robert Wuest, PE Empowered Kemet Electronics
Sirius Engineering Company by robertwuest@kemet.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.235 / U:0.080 seconds]