    SubjectRE: free hardware platforms
    >> Forget it.  We already had several groups trying to create free
    >>hardware platforms. Few of them ever produced something usefull.
    >Probably the only non 8bit was the NS32016 based box with free schematics
    >etc. Nowdays its even less feasible. You need a good million dollars
    >plus to lay out build, case, approval pass and ship a system.
    >
    >Alan

    Speak you of the pc-532 machines? National Semiconductor 32532, as I
    remember.. =) NetBSD and Minix run on those, i think... but I think
    there were less than 250 of the boards ever made, and probably waaay less
    than that were ever soldered together and running. They are neat,
    though... look at www.netbsd.org/Ports/pc532/index.html for a summary of the
    platform, if you're interested.

    Some guy at MIT or someplace like that up north was designing Alpha-based
    workstations. I'm pretty sure it was MIT, and pretty sure that the guy's
    name was Smith. First initial J? dunno.

    later,
    --elijah

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:60.468 seconds]