    SubjectRe: GNU hardware (was: I2O thread)
    Date
    Someday Alan wrote:
    > > Forget it. We already had several groups trying to create free hardware
    > > platforms. Few of them ever produced something usefull.
    >
    > Probably the only non 8bit was the NS32016 based box with free schematics etc.
    > Nowdays its even less feasible. You need a good million dollars plus to lay
    > out build, case, approval pass and ship a system.
    >
    > Alan

    Hmmm. Actually some of us work for CAD companies (I've seen Linux
    users from Synopsys, Cadence and friends) I personally don't consider
    layout and verification such a big problem. I don't think that
    company management would mind if quality control group would use some
    huge cores from GNU project to test place'n'route and verification
    tools. I believe they would even like it -- no NDA's to sign :-). Side
    effect - we get layout for free :-). The only problem - we need enough
    people who know Verilog (VHDL) and are willing to contribute some
    of their free time to this project.

    Eugene

    --
    Eugene Anikin http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/anikin
    anikin@cdac.com anikin@sprynet.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.018 / U:29.984 seconds]