    SubjectRe: SCSI Tape driver While we're at it QFA problems.
    On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Dave Cinege wrote:

    > Since some tape problem have been bought up...
    > I'm unable to space forward the tape on my DAT. It appears to move forward
    > to the desired place on the tape, but as soon as I try to access the tape it
    > rewinds back to block 0. (whether it is tar or just mt tell)

    The SCSI tape devices have a major and minor number. If you want the tape
    to stay where it was after using 'mt', you use the device with the minor
    number's high-bit set.

    /dev/st0 9, 0
    /dev/st1 9, 1
    /dev/st3 9, 128
    /dev/st4 9, 129

    In this case /dev/st0 and /dev/st3 refer to the exact same drive. If
    you are using commands that require the state of the tape-drive to
    remain unchanged, you use /dev/st3. If you want the tape to rewind or,
    if supported unload, you use /dev/st0.

    Richard B. Johnson
    Analogic Corporation
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.54 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).
    Warning : It's hard to stay on the trailing edge of technology.
    Linux : Engineering tool
    Windows : Child's computer interface written in BASIC.
    Win-NT : Child's computer interface rewritten in C.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.019 / U:36.988 seconds]