    SubjectRe: /proc/pci design idea

    On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Stephen Williams wrote:

    > I'm trying to get vendor/device names out of the kernel.
    >
    > The boot messages would include string names for the classes and hex
    > dumps of the id number for tracking things down. Although putting the strings
    > in init is an interesting idea.
    >
    > As for the format of information that the user-mode pretty printer gets,
    > the PCI configuration space layout is standard and stable.

    Does anybody know what configuration space header type 2 layout is ?
    This type was found on a SiS5107 docking station PCI<->PCI bridge last
    week. Tried to find it across the web, but not a single reference, even in
    the ads giving the table of contents of recent books on the subject.

    > Version problems won't be an issue and there are simply no suprises this
    > way. Plus it may serve other nifty purposes I haven't thought of.

    After having a look at the code, I think there is still a problem
    (unless I don't understand it): it only scans configuration at boot,
    and hot plugging PCI is becoming more common (docking stations,
    CompactPCI...). Would it be possible to make the directory structure more
    dynamic ? I'm aware it may be quite complex :-(

    Greetings,
    Gabriel.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.019 / U:62.132 seconds]