From said:
> I'd prefer the following approach:
> - Add a kernel call for PCI config space access.
> - Add a single file in /proc, summarizing all known PCI devices

I've heard several suggestions involving adding another system call.

I think these are decent ideas, but I would prefer not going around and
creating system calls willy-nilly. Entries in /proc use existing system
calls, and also take care of managing permissions, security restrictions,
etc. (The pciconfig_write system call on alphas can be executed by anyone,
for example.)

Only problem is, it requires /proc to be configured in. Oh well, I'm not
the first and won't be the last.

Steve Williams

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep,
And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."