    From said:
    > I'd prefer the following approach:
    > - Add a kernel call for PCI config space access.
    > - Add a single file in /proc, summarizing all known PCI devices

    I've heard several suggestions involving adding another system call.

    I think these are decent ideas, but I would prefer not going around and
    creating system calls willy-nilly. Entries in /proc use existing system
    calls, and also take care of managing permissions, security restrictions,
    etc. (The pciconfig_write system call on alphas can be executed by anyone,
    for example.)

    Only problem is, it requires /proc to be configured in. Oh well, I'm not
    the first and won't be the last.

    Steve Williams

    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep,
    And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.019 / U:23.444 seconds]