SubjectRe: /proc/pci design idea
Hi,

> Make a system call that returns an array of 16 bit numbers?
>
> I prefer having /proc as it is, but binary files in /proc join the
> disadvantages of /proc (overhead) and kernel calls (the need for
> special programs to access the information). So please either make
> files human-readable or just get rid of them altogether.

You need no special programs to read binary config space in /proc:
just use od -x /proc/...

I'd prefer the following approach:

- Add a kernel call for PCI config space access.

- Add a single file in /proc, summarizing all known PCI devices
(one per line) together with basic information about them (those found
in struct pci_dev) in text format.

The lspci (?) utility would read the device list from /proc and extract
all other information via the kernel call. Kernel hackers could simply
read the /proc file itself and get the basic info directly.

Any better ideas?

Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@gts.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"Disc space, the final frontier!"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.054 / U:0.108 seconds]