    SubjectRe: /proc/pci design idea
    Stephen Williams wrote:
    > Each of the files there is the configuration space for the device with the
    > given bus/slot number.

    Hmm, if it's two digits for each, maybe a separator should be between
    them so that people don't think this is a single 16 bit space.

    > then will start in on the usr mode program that does the pretty printing.

    One suggestion: it would be nice to have the actual translation data in a
    directory with plain text files (/lib/pci ?). This way, packages with new
    drivers can add the names cleanly without needing to "upgrade" the pretty
    printer executable.

    Someone complained about the files being binary. An idea just crossed my
    mind: you could make the files executable and add a new executable format
    handler for the pretty printer.

    - Werner

    / Werner Almesberger, DI-LRC,EPFL,CH /

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.027 / U:148.984 seconds]